Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where's your margin?

I wish I could say I'd been away on a tropical island, with an island boy serving me wonderful drinks for the last week and that's why I haven't written. But alas, I've been here stuck in the thick of life. And, that's probably why I haven't written anything. Oh and also working at creating margins in my life - Jordan, if you're reading this, you know what I'm talking about! 


I went to the U2 church for the second time on Sunday and I have to say it's really cool! I know...a church, right? For me, it's this new found place that I can sit and think about my place in this world and how I can live a spiritual life. Plus, the kids go to a sunday school and are loving it...painting, reading stories together. The kids actually woke up Sunday morning and all they could talk about was going to church. This time, hubbie was able to come along, and ?I warned him that he had to be ready for a completely different experience than the catholic church upbringing he's used to. Secretly, I thought to myself...finally...he'll be the one out of place, he'll be the one wondering if he should stand or sit, he'll be the one amazed that so many people know a really long prayer by heart (not the lord's prayer - I somehow know that one) But actually, the U2 folks even put notes in the Sunday pages telling you what to expect. They even give you the words to anything that will be said! Can you imagine!! The catholic church, in my mind, prides itself in making everyone who's not catholic feel a little uncomfortable...I never really knew when to sit, or stand...but here, they actually want people to know what to expect - what a concept! 

Anyway...I digress. So the sermon this week was about living life to the fullest...and gave a whole new perspective. I always thought the goal was to live your life to the fullest - make sure your cup is full and runneth over kind of thing. On Sunday though I heard  a different perspective - one where maybe doing everything possible in our life just isn't the way to go...is there room in my life to just do nothing! The minister gave this great example - think of a book - do the words run right to the edge of the page? No...there's a margin...a space. Well, it got me thinking - where's that margin in my life? I think we probably ask ourselves this type of question all the time...on Sunday, it really hit home for me.

So - I'm not about to say that my life has drastically changed or that I've found nirvana (I'll let you know if/when that happens). And what I have noticed these past few days is that it's great to give myself a margin every day and not fill up my life just to fill it up! Does that make sense? So...wonderful readers out there...whoever you are...find a margin in your life and stick to it! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great, Kristen. I've been thinking in terms of the margin concept this week, too; definitely a worthy goal. Good luck! ;-) Oh, and in case I forget to tell you, we won't be there this weekend - or possibly the next couple...but we do normally go every week!