Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's your mark?

I went to a wake last night for my husband's grandfather. I'd only met him a handful of times, and each time I was always a little nervous of him. He had a very strong presence and loved to debate...so I knew if I started a conversation, I better know what I was talking about, and be ready to hunker down and talk for awhile! He was an immigrant and worked hard all his life. He was so smart, and even got his master's at the age of 70! He fought hard his entire life for Unions and the Labor movement. Anyway - what's my point? Well, even though I barely knew him, the sentiments I had for him were exactly what others said - his daughters, son, and friends all said he was a fighter and you'd better be ready to argue your point if you ever talked to him! Every person who spoke used either the word fighter or warrior - how amazing is that? This man made a mark in the world and everyone knew what it was, whether they liked it or not!


I got thinking then...what mark am I leaving, and...is it a consistent one? Am I true to myself with everyone I meet...or do I alter myself a little depending on the situation I'm in? Al Verri never wavered and everyone knew what he was about. That takes guts...to really be yourself, no matter what. Now, when I do that, I feel better...when I actually allow myself to be me, everything is better. There's no point to be anything else than what you are at your core. Because then, even if you have people that don't like you, the people who do like you...will really like who you are! Does that make sense? I guess I'd rather be known and leave my mark, than be someone who just fades into the distance, leaving people wondering...what is Kirsten really about? What's your mark? I'm working on mine - it's kind of fun!

No comments: