Friday, April 11, 2008

Mom, she's hot!

Yes, heard from the mouths of babes, my almost 6yr old to be exact, just last night - Mom, there's a hot girl in the movie! Now, I consider myself a good mom and I do know what the kids are watching...and limit how much they watch, thank you very much! The movie in question - The Flintstones. A terrible movie, but not inappropriate in my mind for a 6yr old...so how is he growing up so fast to start knowing when a woman is hot or not...and even more frustrating to me is how do I explain that calling a woman hot isn't really appropriate for him to say, or even start to touch upon feminism and seeing beauty inside a person...aaggh - I'm at a loss. 

And then, I start to wonder, did he get this phrase from me? Have I said that to myself out loud - Momma, you're looking hot today? No, don't think so. Or perhaps I said it to my husband one morning as he's flipping some pancakes, Why honey you sure look hot this morning.  I don't think so. I'm not sure where he's picking up this stuff. 
I was talking to my mom about it and she was definitely shocked to hear her grandson comment on the hotness of a woman. And then I thought, is that just the language used today? And no matter what I do to censor what comes into our house, they're going to hear words and phrases that they don't even understand. 
But the story doesn't stop here. He then told me after a few minutes that he couldn't watch the movie anymore because the hot woman made him feel strange! Talk about the body chemistry kicking in. I thought I had a few years, at least, to even start discussing how our body reacts to things/people we like. It's amazing to me to see this little boy figuring out, already, how he feels about things, gets embarrassed about things. And it's my job to make him feel ok with all the different emotions he's going to go through.
So, here I am again - learning on the fly on how to be a mom, how to say the right things, how to stop laughing when funny, yet somewhat inappropriate things are said, how to not make a big deal. And, I know in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a big deal - After all...the hot woman he was referring to was Halle Berry - who doesn't think she's hot?

No comments: