Thursday, April 10, 2008

Time to talk

OK - so...where to begin on this subject. Finding time to talk, really talk, a conversation that has meaning, with your significant other. My husband and I got into this last night - well, actually, I got into it...that we just don't make our time important enough. Yes, we go out with friends regularly, yes we do things as a family together on the weekends...but when do we really sit down and just catch up.
And you know how this conversation started? When I asked my hubbie if he'd heard about the latest installment of the Jimmy Kimmel/Matt Damon feud? He said oh, yes, he'd heard about it last week. And that, my friends was how our discussion began! I asked, well, hon, why didn't you tell me - those are the things we should be sharing with each other.
I know how crazy I sound...I actually got mad that we didn't have a discussion about a youtube video! But that's the thing...if we don't make it important to talk about the crap that doesn't matter, how are we going to find time to talk about the stuff that is important to us? And if all we talk about is the serious stuff...then we're both going to start dreading talking at all - does this make sense?
So, I know it's creepy in a way to 'schedule' time to connect with loved ones. But, I'm doing it. We're going to make sure, after the kids go to bed, that for even just 10 minutes, we sit and just hang out. Maybe there's nothing to talk about, maybe we just find a funny video on youtube to watch, maybe we...well, there's a number of things that can be done in 10 minutes! What the heck though, right? I mean, may as well give it a shot. We've got this one life and I'm going to make sure I make my marriage important as all the other things in my life. So, I'll raise my glass tonight to scheduled alone time! Yikes...wish us luck!

No comments: