Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You're Going to Put the Needle Where?

I just got back from my first acupuncture session! And let me tell you, I feel relaxed and in a lot less pain. To give a very short explanation, my husband went recently as he had western medicine for an issue, and I thought, well, in order to be well-rounded, you gotta throw some eastern medicine into the mix. He had great results. Meanwhile...I started to get a pain in my butt - literally - funny, right. I must have pulled a muscle and 4 weeks later I was getting sick of doing a slow roll out of bed, and even slower roll onto the floor off the couch. And, before we go any further, I would recommend acupuncture to anyway.

So...off I went. And it was a great experience...except for 2 mistakes - 1 by me, 1 by dr. dan. Here's mine - and this is total ego here, because, I do realize that no one, especially dr. dan, cares! So I arrive, fill out my form, and go back to chat about my issues. Saying I have a pain in my butt to friends and family is funny, but it just sounds plain silly when I'm telling dr. dan. Anyway...we got into the practice room, lovely stressfree room, with one of those lovely paper robes laying on the table. As soon as he said, 'take your jeans and socks off and put the robe on with the opening to the back.', this voice in my head yelled - Thong!!! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I wore a thong. So maybe no big deal to you - but all I could think of was, great, this poor dr. dan now has to look at my white ass with a strip of cotton between the cheeks as he's going to put needles in and talk about the great energy! Wonderful! I started to think of all the appropriate underwear I could have one - oh yes, my stripey hanes boy shorts, or oh yep, that old pair from the gap would have been just fine. But no...I had to go and wear a thong. I wasn't thinking....and usually I like to be prepared for anyone who will be inspecting a part of my body. Well, I got over it - and hopefully he did too! Note to self, thong it at my own peril!

Ready for mistake #2? The incorrect placement of posters. So after dr. dan leaves, I'm lying on my side with my bare ass (somewhat covered, but the needles really get in the way) hanging out. I was actually really relaxing and feeling so good. Then I started to look at a poster, right in front of me, with different life-like drawings of the body with locations of various needle points. There was the whole body (very cool), then a close-up of the eye (wonder if that hurts), the arm, the leg, the nether-regions of a man...what! Are you kidding me. Pretty much at eye-level was a life-like drawing of a man with legs open wide, his twig and berries laying ever so neatly on top, a life-like whole representation of the you-know-what...and then a black dot right right in no man's land, where a needle would go! Right there for me to look at, to stare at, to tell myself look away, look away, but looking back...and thinking about how would I relax if I had a needle in that area? Dr. dan, move that poster!
I guess, on a positive note, dr. dan's seen a lot worse than my butt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! I really enjoyed reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me about the thong!! Love that.