Thursday, June 5, 2008

Miniature golf adventure

Driving along Western Ave on what seems to be an incredibly busy car day. It's Sunday so I should expect more traffic...but then I see the reason why - good old German fest in Lincoln Square. One we drive, turning onto Lincoln Ave. to our destination Novelty Golf for my son's 6th bday party. A total of 8 boys will spend the next two hours scaring my husband half to death as they putt putt their little hearts out.

For those of you who know my hubbie, you must be wondering, how can that get nervous around a bunch of boys...he's so laid back! Well, let me tell you - it was a little fun to watch as he tried to corral the boys to maintain order. You see, my hubbie loves miniature golf and now, so does my son. The first time he went, I got many evil eyes as I played at the speed of the kids. Pick that ball up, sure, onto the next hole, why not, skip this hole, sure. Hubbie wanted to keep score and savor each green - whether it be the Empire State Building or a very large mermaid. It's kind of cute, in that naive kind of way!
Anyway - on the day of the party - the boys were like a pack of wolves being told by the father wolf that they had to wait before feasting on their catch - sorry for that image - but it was a little like that! They had their clubs on hand...and didn't want to wait for anything. I do have to say - the party was great and for the most part all the kids were really well behaved. I digress....

Looking back, the issue was that a girlfriend of mine - one of the boys moms, was staying to help out. So for the first 8 holes, we were chatting and lagging behind. When I finally caught hubbies glare, we both stepped up and helped out...a little too late though! Hubbie definitely took one for the team - saved daughter from a number of possible head contusions, and protected the boys from each other. And that was just on the first 18!

Needless to say - after all was said and done - we had a great time . The ride home was a quiet one as the kids in the back reflected on their day at golf course! But if you want the real scoop, you'll have to ask my hubbie!

No comments: